Crispy Chilli Garlic Tofu
So quick and easy to make for a snack or to add to a main meal of stir fried vegetables with noodles or rice. I ate mine with steamed veg and a bit of nandos hot sauce for a tangy bit of fire. Mouthwatering!
Recipe and Benefits of Tofu
1. Great source of vegan protein, contains 9 essential amino acids
2. Excellent source of calcium, especially for vegan diets
3. Contains iron. Add bell peppers to your meal for some vitamin C to help absorb the iron.
4. Contains isoflavones which are antioxidant and provide oestrogen like properties which are great if you are menopausal and having hot flushes.
For those with a history of high oestrogen you may wish to be careful due to the oestrogen like properties of tofu. If you have kidney stones be aware that tofu contains oxalates which may agravate the stones.
Firm tofu (one block cut into strips)
2 or 3 tbsp Cornflour
1/4 tsp Garlic Salt
1/4 tsp Chilli powder/Cayenne Pepper
2 tbsp Oil to fry
- Cut the tofu into 1cm thick strips and lightly dry on tea towel or kitchen paper.
- Add the garlic salt and cayenne pepper or chilli pepper to the cornflower and mix together
- Add the strips of tofu and cover all sides with the flour mix.
- Heat oil in a non stick frying pan and add the tofu turning occasionally to ensure each side is crispy and golden.